Run csi-cinder-controllerplugin on the Elastisys nodes¶
- Status: accepted
- Deciders: arch meeting
- Date: 2023-01-26
Context and Problem Statement¶
We use the Cinder CSI Driver to manage the lifecycle of OpenStack Cinder Volumes. Currently the csi-cinder-controllerplugin is running on arbitrary nodes. Where should we run the csi-cinder-controllerplugin?
- We want to deliver a stable and secure platform.
- Want want to keep application Nodes "light", so the application team knows what capacity is available for their application.
- Run the csi-cinder-controllerplugin on arbitrary Nodes.
- Run the csi-cinder-controllerplugin on Elastisys Nodes.
Chosen option: "Run the csi-cinder-controllerplugin on Elastisys Nodes", because it improves the stability and security of the platform and makes the application nodes "light"
- The application Nodes infrastructure footprint is lower.
- Security and stability of additional services is somewhat improved, e.g., SystemOOM due to an application won't impact the csi-cinder-controllerplugin.
- We need to change the code to be able to make csi-cinder-controllerplugin run on the Elastisys Nodes.
Recommendations to Operators¶
Specifically, use the following Node labels
Remember to also add tolerations and Node affinity to all affected Pods.